University Medical Oncology knows that emergencies can occur, no matter how prepared you might be for every eventuality. We’re here to help.
If you have questions or concerns during normal business hours, please call the main office at 706-722-4245 in Augusta or 803-226-0104 in Aiken. Our on-call nurse will speak with you then, or promptly return your call.
If you need us after hours, please call our main office at 706-722-4245 in Augusta or at 803-226-0104 in Aiken. You will speak with answering service and can then expect a call within 30 minutes from the on-call physician. If you do not receive a call within 30, please try calling again. Please be prepared to tell the physician on-call your name, type of cancer, treatment and date of last treatment.
Emergency Room Visits
Unless you have a life-threatening emergency, please try calling us FIRST, day or night, weekends or holidays so that we may either address the problem or may expedite the Emergency Room process. During normal business hours, we are able to handle most problems.
Please call our office if you have any of the following conditions:
- Signs and symptoms of infection, including fever of 100.5 or more, shaking chills with or without a fever, burning on urination or cough productive of yellow or green mucous. Please have a thermometer available that you can read and take your temperature BEFORE calling the office, as this information is vital.
- Vomiting that does not stop with the medicine ordered and taken as ordered, or inability to eat or drink for 6-12 hours
- Any unexplained bleeding from anywhere
- Severe and sudden headache, change in balance, sudden change in vision or dizziness
- Shortness of breath, or difficulty breathing
- Increased pain or rapid heart rate
- ANY unusual physical symptoms that began after chemotherapy started
- Increased weakness, or inability to get out of bed
- Severe diarrhea
- Constipation with intense abdominal cramping
- Changes in your vision or hearing.
- Increased bruising or pinpoint red or purple spots anywhere on the body